Salman Taseer, Governor of the Punjab Province, was shot dead by his security guard, an Elite force commando named Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri on Tuesday 4th January 2010 in Islamabad.
The media “Lion” has a new story to eat and digest for at least three or four days and almost every channel is now discussing Salman Taseer, Toheen-e-Risalat, etc. keeping the media injected views aside, I have a few simple questions:
1. Why the Governor passed such blunt remarks regarding a law which was passed by the parliament “unanimously” in 1985?
2. Why the Governor intervened in Aasia’s case which was already in court?
3. The Governor kept on taking Aasia’s name, but why didn’t he ever make a similar plea for Aafia Siddiqui?
4. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are a lot people in Jails suffering the same death penalty under a different section, the famous “dafa 302”; why no government official is sending letters to the President to waive of their penalties?
5. If there is a flaw in the court procedure, why there is a need to “change” the law?
6. In the proposed amendment of the law, why there is a focus on removing the death penalty? Will this mean more violation because now the accused can wander more freely hearting the feelings of the majority?
7. We respect the rights of minorities in Pakistan….what about the respect for the rights of majorities?
May Allah help us all!